- Know an excellent teacher at the primary or secondary level? Nominations for the Matthew I. Wiencke Teaching Award are due Dec. 31st.
- Applications for the Cornelia Caitlin Coulter and CANE Endowment Scholarships for summer study at the American Academy of Rome or elsewhere are due January 15th. See our Scholarships page for more details!
- Other important scholarships and grants with fast approaching deadlines include Discretionary Grants (February 1) and the Katz Prize for Excellence in Undergraduate Research (February 15.) All funding opportunities can be found on the Scholarships page.
- Check out these updates from ASCANIUS.
- The Yale University Art Gallery has recently renovated its ancient art galleries, and there is a great special exhibit entitled “Roman in the Provinces: Art on the Periphery of the Empire” running now through February 4th.
- There’s an exhibit in Quincy Market in Boston that includes Lego reconstructions of a Greek vase and classical statuary through January 11.
Certamina et Dies Classici et Eventus!
- The Pioneer Valley Classical Association is holding its annual Classics Day on January 16 at Mt. Holyoke College in South Hadley, MA. Latin students will have the opportunity to see lectures, attend hands-on workshops, compete in art, speaking, costume, and traditional certamen-style contests, and even see a play performed by peers! For more information, email its President, Bruce Arnold.
- The Paideia Institute announces its 3rd annual Living Latin in NYC February 14-15, 2015 at Fordham University’s Lincoln Center Campus. Guest speakers this year include Dr. Nancy Llewellyn, Milena Minkova, Dr. Terence Tunberg, Cristophe Rico, and Luigi Miraglia.
- Live in western MA or northern CT and want to practice speaking in Latin? There is a large group that meets weekly in Amherst! For details, contact TJ Howell.
- In the Boston area? Check out the Active Latin Meetup page for events.
- See our new Jobs page for details.
Awards, Scholarships and Fellowships
- The deadline for applications for the Bean Scholarships, offered by the College of the Holy Cross to students who intend to major in the Classics, is January 15th.