N.B. Please send news, announcements, and events to announcementsREsth68MOVE@cau677fhnewebREMO346jkVE.o9iy885rrg
- Nothing to report!
Greater New England Happenings
- AP Workshops are being offered in Watertown, CT. July 3-7: Helping Our Students Become Ready for the Course & Exam. July 10-14: AP LATIN: What does the Aeneid have to do with de Bello Gallico? Contact Jill Crooker for more information. email@example.com
- Tufts is offering a class on Ovid: Metamorphoses and Amores, Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:00 to 4:30, starting July 5. More information available on the flyer.
- TUSCULUM VIRGINIANUM is the only event of its kind offering a week-long total immersion in an environment and schedule crafted for teenagers. The program is scheduled for July 31st to August 5th 2017 in McDowell, Virginia. TUSCULUM VIRGINIANUM brings the powerful experiences of the Conventiculum or Rusticatio to high school students in order to encourage their continued study of the Classics through high school and college. I invite you to take a look at our webpage. Please support this non-profit outreach by adding it to the relevant announcements, news tabs, and newsletters or by sharing it through social media. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Would you like to travel abroad? And to have help paying for it? The Vergilian Society is offering exciting study tours in 2017 including “Northern Italy and Croatia,” “Latin Authors in Italy,” “Roman Britain,” and “Gladiators and Roman Spectacle”. These programs are specifically designed to benefit and appeal to teachers at all levels by providing them the opportunity to experience a rich variety of ancient sites to support their own understanding and teaching of the ancient world. See the full tour descriptions on the Vergilian Society website at http://www.vergiliansociety.org/2017-tours/ (Nota bene! Almost $100,000 in scholarship money is available: http://www.vergiliansociety.org/tours/scholarships/)
- The Boston Area Classics Calendar has a lot going on, and a weekly email digest of upcoming events.
- If you live in the western Massachusetts, northern Connecticut, or southern Vermont area you may be interested in Amherst College’s list of upcoming lectures in the Pioneer Valley.
- The Western MA Conversational Hour is meeting every Thursday at 1 p.m. at the Esselon Cafe in Hadley, MA for a Latin Lunch. For details, contact TJ Howell.
- In the Boston area? Check out the Active Latin Meetup page for events.
- Central Connecticut State University is working to create a certification program for the teaching of Latin. Attached you will find the program of studies. In order to make this idea come to fruition we are seeking support from Latin groups. We need at least 10 students to sign up for this cohort in order to run the program. As an incentive to enroll into the program we are looking for funding to offer scholarships to help defray the cost of course work at the University level. If you are interesting in supporting this initiative in any way please contact me at the below email address. Gina Gallo Reinhard email@example.com
- Grey Fox Tutors is offering a free weekly Skype Conversational Latin Workshop for all current or former Latin teachers or TAs. The Workshop is an opportunity for teachers to gain Latin speaking skills that they can then use in their own classrooms. It is currently held on Saturdays at 2 PM EST; additional times and days, however, may be added in the future as needed. For more information please contact Katerina Ourgi at assistanthead@greyfoxtutors.
com or call (212) 203-8734. There is also a survey to determine the best times to offer professional development over the summer.
- Our jobs page has been updated with new openings! Take a look for opportunities in western Massachusetts and New Hampshire.